The Best Pilates Exercises For Lower Back Pain
As seen in Bustle | November 28, 2022
The next time your lower back hurts, roll out a mat and try a few Pilates exercises. There are quite a few moves that work wonders for instant lower back pain relief, and others that help build up the surrounding muscles so you have less back pain over time.
Jessica Roberts, NCPT, a national master trainer at Club Pilates, says the Pilates bridge is another simple yet effective exercise that strengthens your core, hamstrings, and glutes — all in the name of supporting your lower back. “Staying active can play an important role in back pain,” she adds. “Exercise can assist in promoting circulation, muscle resistance, and improving strength and flexibility.”
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on your mat hip-distance apart.
- Keep your arms at your sides with palms facing and pressing down.
- Exhale to engage your core.
- Slowly curl your pelvis and spine off the mat working to articulate the spine to lift.
- Hold at the top as you inhale.
- Exhale to articulate and lower your torso back onto the mat.
- Repeat 10 times.
Read more on Bustle.